As a medical professional, there are so many different paths you can take while navigating the healthcare industry. It’s a challenge to find the right path for yourself when the options are so limitless. In this article we are going to go over a single option: medical staffing agencies.
What is A Medical Staffing Agency?
A medical staffing agency is the middle man between a healthcare organization and a medical professional. Healthcare organizations in need of medical professionals contact a medical staffing agency in order to find medical professionals who are in high demand. This can be for short-term or long-term contracts.
What Does A Medical Staffing Agency do?
A medical staffing agency is hired by a healthcare organization to bring in a contracted medical professional. This can be under a local crisis where more help is needed, during flu season, when a healthcare organization is looking for a specific specialist, or if there is a high demand for a certain type of medical professional.
- Connections: Medical staffing agencies generally have a large pool of connections that they use to get you a job placement. This is great when you want a wide range of options, and aren’t exactly sure where you want to end up.
- Management: Medical staffing agencies help take care of all of the paperwork such as invoicing, and credentialing. This can be a big relief, because healthcare paperwork can often be extensive and overwhelming. Healthcare positions can be high risk positions, and since there is so much that can go wrong on the job, healthcare organizations go above and beyond to cover there butts. Medical staffing agencies are great because they take care of a lot of the work.
- Flexible work: This is great when you are in between jobs, or about to move but need work in the meantime. It also works for people who love traveling, but need to work along the way.
- Expensive: Depending on your job title, and your pay, it can be expensive working with a medical staffing agency. They can take up to 20% of your paycheck in order to manage you. In this case it might be a better option to apply to a hospital directly.
- Minimal job security: If you aren’t in love with traveling, or you aren’t in between jobs, working with a medical staffing agency might not be the best option for you. This is because there is often minimal job security.
- Unreliable: Often times when you sign a contract with a medical staffing agency the contract will say that the job could be both short-term or long-term. That basically means that they can keep you however long they want to. They get to choose how long you stay, and that can be very unreliable.
Want More Info?
If you’re interested in finding out more info on medical staffing agencies, here’s a list of articles you can read through to get more understanding:
A Basic History of Medical Staffing: https://goo.gl/E6g3e5
Best Places to Find Healthcare Jobs: https://goo.gl/UjLVtN
5 Things Your Medical Staffing Agency isn’t Telling You: https://goo.gl/Hrpzzl
Medical Staffing Basics: https://goo.gl/gAaiiM
The medical staffing industry can be a wonderful tool to use as a medical professional, just do your research, and don’t let potential employers take advantage of your hard work. You have a valuable skill, and your employer should know that.